Unlocking polyketide therapeutic potential
Underexploited potential of polyketides
Polyketides are “high-content chemistry” – they are molecules rich in biological properties relevant to human disease. There are more than 2500 known naturally-occurring polyketides (and probably 10,000s yet to be discovered) whose human biology remains to be fully characterized and each of these represents a potential drug lead. However until now, there has not been a repeatable, scalable process for discovery and development of polyketide therapeutics.
Biotica can uniquely realise the opportunity
Based on its experience from both partnerships and internal programmes, Biotica has developed a repeatable, scaleable process for polyketide therapeutic discovery and development. The components are:
- Standardised process for identification and optimisation of polyketide candidates
- Library of naturally occuring human biology-rich polyketides as a resource for identification of novel leads
- Experience of scaled-up production of engineered polyketide therapeutics
- Patent portfolio covering methods for engineering polyketides, as well as patents on compositions, methods of use, genome sequences and strains
- Expertise and know-how in molecular biology of polyketide-producing organisms, fermentation biology and polyketide chemistry
This puts Biotica and its collaborators in a unique position to take advantage of the benefits offered by polyketides.